Gus has run several clinical trials in glaucoma surgery. His research interests include angle closure glaucoma, randomised controlled trials of glaucoma treatments, and anterior segment imaging.
For a comprehensive listing of Professor Gazzard’s research and publications see his listing on the ORCID website here.
- Professor Gazzard was part of the world’s first randomised controlled trial to prove the effectiveness of the PRESERFLO™ MicroShunt Glaucoma Drainage System. Read more
- He has the largest amount of experience in the U.K. and Europe with Hydrus micro-stent procedures, with over 350 devices implanted. Read more
- Professor Gazzard in a leading author of multiple publications on Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS) including influential Cochrane meta-analyses of all the available studies. Read more
- He led the world’s largest, pivotal and highly influential study proving laser can be safely and effectively used for newly diagnosed open angle glaucoma patients as in the ground-breaking Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT) study. Read more
- He has authored over 110 publications, and is currently working as the chief investigator on the LiGHT SLT Trial.
- Prof. Gazzard is the author of ’this definitive review of the data on the main treatment for angle closure. You can read this ground-breaking paper on his research here
- His particular areas of research are the diagnosis and surgical management of glaucoma and cataracts, with a particular interest in randomised controlled trials of treatment as well as the epidemiology and prevention of myopia.
Research experience includes:
- Research into laser alternatives to drop treatments (laser trabeculoplasty, SLT), angle closure glaucoma and randomised controlled trials of treatment.
- Two years research into the diagnosis and management of glaucoma ~ Institute of Ophthalmology, London and Singapore National Eye Centre leading to MD Thesis (2006, UCL)
- Two year Surgical Glaucoma Fellowship ~ Moorfields